To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] General Ptxdist usecase question
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:05:06 +0200	[thread overview]

On 28-10-2011 11:29, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:21:22AM +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
>> The projects I use Ptxdist for have grown in size over the last few
>> years, they now include mono, gtkwebkit, boost, clutter, gtk3 and
>> all the Xorg stuff. That means it now takes more than 2 hours to
>> compile it from scratch. The machine is not the fastest (only 4 core
>> 3GHz) but even if it was twice as fast it would still compile over
>> and hour.
>>
>> So I am looking for a way to prevent a full rebuild on every project
>> release. There seem to be some features in Ptxdist that should allow
>> this, but I could not really figure out how to use them.
>>
>> What I would like to do is this;
>>
>> 1) Build an OS with all the Xorg, mono, gtk, etc. stuff and version that.
>
> This is stable, right? Fix PTXdist version, no option changes etc.?

Yeah that is the idea. Of course like with any other OS/distribution
there will be updates at some point.

>> 2) build my own applications.
>> 3) combine the results from step 1 and 2 into an image for flashing
>> 4) goto 2
>>
>> Is it possible to do this with Ptxdist and if so, how ?
>
> Take a look at the PROJECT_CREATE_DEVPKGS/PROJECT_USE_DEVPKGS options. With
> PROJECT_CREATE_DEVPKGS you get<pkg>->version>-<hash>-dev.tar.gz for most
> packages. This is the content of<PKG>_PKGDIR.
> With PROJECT_USE_DEVPKGS you can specify a folder contain such archives. If
> a matching archive is found, the stages up to install are skipped and the
> archive is extracted instead. The hash makes sure the sub-options used to
> create the archive are the correct ones.
> Note: You cannot use your own packages dir. That introduces really strange
> circular dependencies.

I looked into that a bit, but my problem are the configuration files. If
I understand the idea correct you start with two exactly the same setups
(same ptxdistconfig and pladformconfig) and than say the first setup
should "create packages" and the second setup should "use packages".

Is it possible to somehow "reference" to the prebuild system and prevent
the user from changing the settings that are in common with that
prebuild system?

- Erwin