From: Bart De Vos <bart.devos@eia.be>
Cc: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] General Ptxdist usecase question
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:26:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Hallo Erwin,

On 10/28/2011 10:46 AM, Erwin Rol wrote:
> Hallo Bart,
>
> On 28-10-2011 10:38, Bart De Vos wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have some kind of similar setup in which we split our root file
>> system and the customers filesystem. In runtime the customers filesystem
>> is mounted on a fixed point (/opt). Off-course we have designed this
>> separation from the start, we have 2 separated filesystems. For the
>> second filesystem you can use just another ptxdist configfile. I don't
>> know whether you can merge 2 file system images together with ptxdist.
>> But for this purpose a simple script can automate this.
>
> That would be an option too. I could easily deal with 2 filesystems.
> But how do you build the second (user) project? It seems you need to
> duplicate almost all settings in the second config file. And that is
> very error prone in my eyes.
To be honest, today we don't build the second system with PTXdist, but
we might do that in the future.
I agree with you: duplication is error prone. I don't see where the
duplication comes from. On the other hand the root filesystem must be
able to start services from the second filesystem. (call a script upon
mounting)

>> Another approach can be to support a list of configfiles in stead of
>> only one. This will give you a single image file which was what you 'v
>> been asking for in the first place.
>
> Shouldn't it already be possible to do something like this;
>
> OS project create ptxdistconfig and platformconfig
>
> Than in the user project include the OS ptxdistconfig and platformconfig.
>
> But how to tell the user project not to rebuild everything again.
> That's my main problem.
I don't have an answer on that, sorry.

> - Erwin

/Bart.

>> Are there any plans to support a list of configfiles?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Bart.
>>
>> On 10/28/2011 10:21 AM, Erwin Rol wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> The projects I use Ptxdist for have grown in size over the last few
>>> years, they now include mono, gtkwebkit, boost, clutter, gtk3 and all
>>> the Xorg stuff. That means it now takes more than 2 hours to compile
>>> it from scratch. The machine is not the fastest (only 4 core 3GHz) but
>>> even if it was twice as fast it would still compile over and hour.
>>>
>>> So I am looking for a way to prevent a full rebuild on every project
>>> release. There seem to be some features in Ptxdist that should allow
>>> this, but I could not really figure out how to use them.
>>>
>>> What I would like to do is this;
>>>
>>> 1) Build an OS with all the Xorg, mono, gtk, etc. stuff and version
>>> that.
>>> 2) build my own applications.
>>> 3) combine the results from step 1 and 2 into an image for flashing
>>> 4) goto 2
>>>
>>> Is it possible to do this with Ptxdist and if so, how ?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Erwin

Bart De Vos
Development Engineer