From: Arno Euteneuer <Arno.Euteneuer@toptica.com>
To: "ptxdist@pengutronix.de" <ptxdist@pengutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] sporadic crashes of shell commands
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 07:49:56 +0000	[thread overview]

Good morning,
As Tim suggested I enabled all available errata in my kernel configuration and rebuild kernel and rootfs with my old OSELAS toolchain. I didn't get a single illegal instruction or segfault during the weekend from our test scripts, even though the CPU was running with 100% load all the time.

Thank you very much, Tim! This seems to be the trick.

I only have two questions now:

1. Why did the other toolchain help? What was its influence? Do toolchains have built-in erratas for certain processors?

2. Are there disadvantages of certain errata? Why are they selectable in the kernel config and not integrated into the respective architecture's sources by default?

Best regards
Arno