* [ptxdist] Fw: Re: Crosscompile a WIFI USB stick firmware with ptxdist
@ 2012-12-27 15:56 Dr. Patrick Langfeld
From: Dr. Patrick Langfeld @ 2012-12-27 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Dear Thomas,
please call me Patrick :-)
Thank you very much for your quick response! I cant believe that it
should be that simple - that would be really good news :-). (as my
developer experience is that things are almost always more complicated
than expected)

You mean it might be sufficient to copy the carl9170-1.fw to my targets
destination /usr/local/lib/firmware eg.
mkdir /usr/local/lib/firmware
mv carl9170-1.fw /usr/local/lib/firmware
Am I right?

Is there a way that ptxdist can care for that to automize the job?
OK, I will have a look at the "4.3 Adding binary only files" chapter,
page 45 of the "how to become a ptxdist guru" pdf. I think thats the
one.
What I will also need are the packages for "wireless-tools" and
"wpasupplicant".

in the userland (./ptx menuconfig) I already found the packages in
Networking Tools (cool)
<*> wireless tools
<*> wpa_supplicant
The latter has some subpackages
[ ] dbus control interface
[ ] AP mode
[ ] P2P
[ ] hostap
[ ] wext
[ ] ralink
[ ] nl80211
[ ] wired
[ ] roboswitch
[*] Install wpa_cli

Any idea what I will need as a minimum? Of course you will say that
depends on what I want to do ;-)
I want a) my device to be a client and connecting with an access point
and alternative b) a P2P connection with a PC (or multiple devices, each
of them with a P2P connection to a dedicated PC).

Best regards
Patrick

From: Tim Sander @ 2012-12-27 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist, Dr. Patrick Langfeld

Hi Patrick
> Is there a way that ptxdist can care for that to automize the job?
The quickest way might be to just copy rootfs from the ptxdist
/usr/local/lib/ptxdist-<version>/rules/rootfs.make to your local rules and add
a install_alternative line of the firmware you have copied to projectroot
directory tree in your ptxdist project dir.

The not so fast way would be adding you own package.

This is all documented in the ptxdist documentation.

Best regards
Tim