From: Alexander Dahl <ada@thorsis.com>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: [ptxdist] policy for shared or static libs in ptxdist?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 10:57:17 +0200	[thread overview]

Hei everyone,

for a C library project built with CMake, which I'm currently the
maintainer for, I got some patches from the buildroot folks to support
static linking of the library. AFAIK buildroot supports building the
whole BSP statically linked. For CMake based projects it sets the global
CMake variable BUILD_SHARED_LIBS to control if a package should be built
as shared or static lib (which of course must be supported by the
upstream packages then).

As far as ptxdist is concerned, I used grep today to find out how this
is handled over here. What I could see was no central support for either
the one or the other, but letting the packages do what they want, each
handling it individually. However I saw most packages (most are
autotools based) setting --enable-shared and --disable-static – so I
assume the general policy for ptxdist is to build shared libraries and
there's no support for building static libraries, except for some rare
packages, where a menu option for this exists.

So what I want to know is how this is handled or should be handled in
ptxdist? Depending on that I maybe will send a patch for building CMake
based (library) packages.

Greets
Alex