From: Michael Olbrich <m.olbrich@pengutronix.de>
To: "Koch, Alexander" <akoch@initse.com>
Cc: "ptxdist@pengutronix.de" <ptxdist@pengutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] rootfs: /dev/null creation fails with 'Operation not permitted'
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 12:44:34 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 07:59:45AM +0000, Koch, Alexander wrote:
> Hi #PTXdist,
>
> I'm currently facing the issue that all my PTXdist builds fail in
> 'rootfs.make' during the creation of the /dev/null device node:
>

> --------------------------------------( ... )--
>
> install directory:
>    dir=/dev
>    owner=0
>    group=0
>    permissions=0755
>
> install device node:
>    owner=0
>    group=0
>    permissions=0666
>    type=c
>    major=1
>    minor=3
>    name=/dev/null
>
> mknod: /mnt/work/ptxdist/platform-pm3/packages/rootfs.tmp/dev/null:
> Operation not permitted
> Error: install_node failed!
>
> xpkg_finish: failed.
>
> make: *** [/usr/lib/ptxdist-2020.01.0/rules/rootfs.make:93:
> /mnt/work/ptxdist/platform-pm3/state/rootfs.targetinstall] Error 1

> As you can see I'm using ptxdist-2020.01.0 for this but I've taken a
> look at the current release code base and can't see any substantial
> changes to the device node creation part in `install_node()`. So I doubt
> it's an issue of that particular version.
>
> I've also checked I'm not using any fancy mount options for the
> filesystem I'm building on (btrfs) and I do not use SELinux/AppArmor or
> any other restriction framework.
>
> Builds used to work fine for years, so I'm running out of clues what
> could be causing this issue.
>

> Does anybody have an idea what I could check?

mknod is run with fakeroot specifically to avoid permissions errors like
this. So either fakeroot is not working properly or there is some bad
interaction with btrfs.
Can you run mknod with platform-*/sysroot-host/bin/fakeroot to see if it
works manually?
Try to create a device file on the same filesystem but also on a tmpfs.
Do you get the same errors?

Regards,
Michael