From: Michael Olbrich <m.olbrich@pengutronix.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Regenerating debug files for debugging a core dump
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 11:31:56 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 04:43:54PM +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> I am trying to debug a core dump from a system based on ptxdist-2018.05.0.
>
> I see that the debug symbols are generated in
> platform-xxx/root/usr/lib/debug.
>
> The thing is that I don't have the original debug files anymore.
> If I regenerate the root fs and everything else from the same sources
> (ptxdist clean + ptxdist go), will the generated debug files be valid for
> debugging the core dump?

It may or may not work. PTXdist tries to make builds reproducible. But
there are cases where it does not work and the resulting binaries are
different.
So it's worth a try if you don't have the debug files any more, but it's
better to keep them to avoid relying on this.

> I guess the general question is: should we be storing debug files for each
> release, or can we rely on regenerating these from scratch when needed?

I would not rely on it. I would either just package the whole
platform-xxx/root and save that. Or you could enable
PTXCONF_DEBUG_PACKAGES. In this case PTXdist will create a debug ipkg for
each package that contains the debug files. You can den archive all ipgk
files (regular and debug) and extract those as needed.

Michael