* [ptxdist] Chrony has NTP capability disabled by default, why ?
@ 2020-07-21 15:57 Mircea Ciocan
From: Mircea Ciocan @ 2020-07-21 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Dear ptxdist developers (and especially Michael O.),

we've had a head scratching session today, we've tried to use chrony as
a NTP server and for a number of hours was failing miserably, until
we've discovered that by default the NTP is disabled via
"non-bypassable" compilation switches given in the rule file, that is
"--disable-ntp", making it mostly useless :( .

That is commit bd721be68 (Michael Olbrich   2018-06-02) and I was
wondering, is it chrony used so much without NTP functionality that by
default it was considered a good idea to be disabled, or what could be
the reason behind this ? Am I missing something obvious here ?

And also, for the people that uses chrony as a replacement for the old
ntpd, could we at least have a configuration switch/variable, defined in
the next version, to select this functionality if needed ?

Thank you and best regards,

Mircea

* Re: [ptxdist] Chrony has NTP capability disabled by default, why ?
@ 2020-07-22  6:44 ` Bruno Thomsen
From: Bruno Thomsen @ 2020-07-22  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Den tir. 21. jul. 2020 kl. 17.57 skrev Mircea Ciocan <m.ciocan@ppc-ag.de>:

> Dear ptxdist developers (and especially Michael O.),
>
> we've had a head scratching session today, we've tried to use chrony as
> a NTP server and for a number of hours was failing miserably, until
> we've discovered that by default the NTP is disabled via
> "non-bypassable" compilation switches given in the rule file, that is
> "--disable-ntp", making it mostly useless :( .

Hi Mircea

I can see we have a local patched version that also removes --disable-ntp,
and also adds systemd support, run as non-root user, version bump,
authentication support option and custom start option.

> That is commit bd721be68 (Michael Olbrich   2018-06-02) and I was
> wondering, is it chrony used so much without NTP functionality that by
> default it was considered a good idea to be disabled, or what could be
> the reason behind this ? Am I missing something obvious here ?
>
> And also, for the people that uses chrony as a replacement for the old
> ntpd, could we at least have a configuration switch/variable, defined in
> the next version, to select this functionality if needed ?

A switch would be fine in case some doesn't need ntp support.

I should probably put together some patches with our local changes.

/Bruno

* Re: [ptxdist] Chrony has NTP capability disabled by default, why ?
@ 2020-07-24  7:45   ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2020-07-24  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 08:44:55AM +0200, Bruno Thomsen wrote:
> Den tir. 21. jul. 2020 kl. 17.57 skrev Mircea Ciocan <m.ciocan@ppc-ag.de>:
> > Dear ptxdist developers (and especially Michael O.),
> >
> > we've had a head scratching session today, we've tried to use chrony as
> > a NTP server and for a number of hours was failing miserably, until
> > we've discovered that by default the NTP is disabled via
> > "non-bypassable" compilation switches given in the rule file, that is
> > "--disable-ntp", making it mostly useless :( .
>
> Hi Mircea
>
> I can see we have a local patched version that also removes --disable-ntp,
> and also adds systemd support, run as non-root user, version bump,
> authentication support option and custom start option.

Please send patches :-)

> > That is commit bd721be68 (Michael Olbrich   2018-06-02) and I was
> > wondering, is it chrony used so much without NTP functionality that by
> > default it was considered a good idea to be disabled, or what could be
> > the reason behind this ? Am I missing something obvious here ?

I don't actually remember, but I guess it wasn't needed at the time. Or
simply a mistake.

> > And also, for the people that uses chrony as a replacement for the old
> > ntpd, could we at least have a configuration switch/variable, defined in
> > the next version, to select this functionality if needed ?
>
> A switch would be fine in case some doesn't need ntp support.

I think ntp support can be enabled unconditionally. It doesn't look like it
needs extra dependencies, right?

> I should probably put together some patches with our local changes.

Yes please.

Michael