From: Michael Olbrich <m.olbrich@pengutronix.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Root filesystem creation regression
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 14:37:26 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:14:30AM +0200, Juergen Borleis wrote:
> Michael Olbrich wrote:
> > […]
> > 'install_tree' is a bit of a special case here. The problem ist, that it
> > cannot know, which directories are implicit. So it will always create all
> > subdirectories (except the root directory of the tree). So you need to fix
> > the permission in the install stage.
>
> I do not want and I do not need to know how "systemd" likes its directories. I
> just want to *add* a file to this directory. And this is how it works if you
> run "make install" in your package for a regular root filesystem: The "install"
> tool just copies a file to this dedicated directory and uses the already
> existing directory (and its permissions) as-is - and everything is fine.
> The conflict only happens in PTXdist due to all install stages always install
> into an "empty" filesystem.

No, the conflict happens because you don't tell ptxdist what you want. Your
directory has special permissions and ptxdist should not ignore that.
If you don't care about the directory permissions, then don't use
install_tree. Install the individual files with install_copy.

In general, 'just add a file to a directory' is not possible. There is no
way to tell opkg if the permissions of a directory are important or not.

The only way to _always_ get the correct permissions is to use 0755 when we
don't care and explicitly handle anything else in _all_ packages that touch
the relevant paths.

Michael