* [ptxdist] Layer Support in PTXdist
@ 2018-09-21 20:36 Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2018-09-21 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

I've mentioned a few times in the last few months that I've worked on some
changes to PTXdist to support layers. I've finished the initial work on
this and the result is now in master.

If you don't care about this, then just ignore it and use PTXdist as
before. It should all work without any changes. If not, then it's probably
a bug.

So what are layers in PTXdist? It's not really anything new. Its the same
directory hierarchy as before, just multiple times stacked on top of each
other. There is some special stuff to handle the ptxconfig and
plaformconfig, but I'm not going into details here. Just take a look at the
documentation[1] if your interested.

This is still pretty new, so I expect that there are some bugs to be found,
especially for the corner cases. So please take a look and report back.
Especially if something is unclear or doesn't work as expected.

Regards,
Michael

[1] https://www.ptxdist.org/doc/dev_manual.html#layers-in-ptxdist

* Re: [ptxdist] Layer Support in PTXdist
@ 2018-09-22  6:36 ` Roland Peffer
From: Roland Peffer @ 2018-09-22  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

I went through the documentation and not everything is 100% clear to me yet.
Do you have any tutorial how to create a layer and work with it?

Regards,
Roland

@ 2018-09-27  7:51   ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2018-09-27  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 08:36:22AM +0200, Roland Peffer wrote:
> I went through the documentation and not everything is 100% clear to me yet.
> Do you have any tutorial how to create a layer and work with it?

There is no tutorial at this point. Can you elaborate which parts of the
documentation are unclear?

Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] Layer Support in PTXdist
@ 2018-09-27  8:06     ` Roland Peffer
From: Roland Peffer @ 2018-09-27  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi Michael,

I have not tried to set up a layer yet, but at least some questions popped up in my mind:

1) How to create a layer, Do I have to create the base folder and content manually, or is there some command or script?
2.) How do I call the ptxmenu to configure differences in a layer. E.g. cd ./base and then ptxdist menu
3) Is the layer folder name always “base"? E.g. I have various products that I want to handle by layers. Do I have to create corresponding  folders for each product  and a switch to them a symbolic link named base to activate them?
…

These questions and maybe more where the case why I asked for a tutorial how to create and configure a layer.

Thanks,
Roland

@ 2018-09-27  8:27       ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2018-09-27  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 10:06:09AM +0200, Roland Peffer wrote:
> I have not tried to set up a layer yet, but at least some questions popped up in my mind:
>
> 1) How to create a layer, Do I have to create the base folder and content
> manually, or is there some command or script?

Manually. A layer without any changes is just an empty directory, so I'm
not sure what a command or script would create.

> 2.) How do I call the ptxmenu to configure differences in a layer. E.g.
> cd ./base and then ptxdist menu

Yes exactly. Each layer is like a BSP. Just 'cd' into the layer and you can
call all PTXdist commands.

> 3) Is the layer folder name always “base"? E.g. I have various products
> that I want to handle by layers. Do I have to create corresponding
> folders for each product  and a switch to them a symbolic link named base
> to activate them?

It's always 'base'. If I understand your use-case correctly, then you
should reverse the stacking order:

CommonLayer/ # shared stuff
Product-A/   # stuff for this product
Product-A/base -> ../CommonLayer/ # reuse the shared layer
Product-B/   # stuff for this product
Product-B/base -> ../CommonLayer/ # reuse the shared layer

> These questions and maybe more where the case why I asked for a tutorial
> how to create and configure a layer.

I understand. I'd like to have a section in the 'Daily Work' chapter, with
an example like this. Not sure when I find the time for this.

Michael