From: Robert Schwebel <r.schwebel@pengutronix.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Yocto
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 21:13:02 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 03:03:39PM +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> yes I know the topic is blasphemy ;-)  but I was wondering if there are
> ppl that made usecase comparisons between ptxdist and Yocto?

Well, it's not blasphemy at all. At Pengutronix, we are doing both,
depending on the usecase and on customer requirements. The main
arguments have already been brought up in this thread.

> My personal experience with small systems (no GUI/X/wayland) is that
> ptxdist is really easy to get going. With large systems that need QT
> 5.9, webkitgtk/chromium, different OpenGL versions etc. is that
> ptxdist is not always that easy. But I am not experienced enough with
> Yocto to say if that will be easier/better.

Like with all complicated technical tasks, things are usually easy if
somebody else has already done the job and you just need to reproduce
that. Yocto has many users, so quite a lot of things have already been
done by somebody. If you reach the point where you need to fix things
yourself, ptxdist is often easier, because Yocto/oe have quite some
complexity.

I suppose the rest of the story is personal preferences. When I started
ptxdist, having a tool which made it easy for a developer to concentrate
on his own tasks was very important to me. This is why ptxdist is
focussed on solving a deverloper's tasks (not necessarily an enduser
one's). But of course this is all a matter of taste, and we continue to
support both.

rsc