From: Clemens Gruber <clemens.gruber@pqgruber.com>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] /usr merge
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 15:36:51 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 02:36:58PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> I just dont remember any case where some package expects a program in
> /usr/bin, which traditionally is in /bin. But there're cases in the
> opposite direction, eg. the recent busybox-tar issue here on the list.

I recently experienced this when using some tools from coreutils instead
of busybox.

The Fedora folks made a good case for the usr merge, here:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/

ArchLinux did the /usr merge four years ago, and I really like the idea
of no longer needing to know for each binary, where it was put.
It is especially useful when writing systemd units because ExecStart
needs the full path.

I can remember several problems which would not have happened with a
usr merge. Most of them wrong paths in ExecStart(Pre), because for
example coreutils rm is installed to /usr/bin while busybox rm is in
/bin.

Does someony have a system in production, where PTXdist is updated
somewhat regularily and the usr split is required / using an initrd is
not possible?

Thanks,
Clemens