* [ptxdist] iproute2 dependencies
@ 2016-10-17 10:48 Clemens Gruber
From: Clemens Gruber @ 2016-10-17 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring, Michael Olbrich, Juergen Borleis; +Cc: ptxdist

Hi Alex, Hi Michael, Hi Juergen,

I am interested in your opinion regarding the iptables
dependency.

I sent a hack-ish patch to not build tc/m_ipt.c, but there is probably a
better way. Especially if someone needs the iptables support in tc.
(For the tc filter ipt action)

Should we better

1) bite the bullet and always add an iptables dependency

or

2) modify the Makefile in a way that builds m_ipt.o only if some new
configure flag is set (instead of now where it is built if none of
the existing iptables options are set)
Then we could have optional iptables support. So we always patch
configure and the Makefile and add the option if it is enabled in
ptxdist?

What's also interesting to me is that Debian does not depend on
libxtables11, it is only recommended.

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: [ptxdist] iproute2 dependencies
@ 2016-10-17 12:54 ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2016-10-17 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Alexander Aring, Michael Olbrich

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:48:37PM +0200, Clemens Gruber wrote:
> What's also interesting to me is that Debian does not depend on
> libxtables11, it is only recommended.
Looking at iproute2 4.6.0-4, it build-depends on iptables-dev though. So
maybe only the headers are needed, but not the library?!

In the changelog there is:

iproute (20121001-2) experimental; urgency=low

  * Generate recommends for optional module dependencies
    This makes the optional module dependency on libxtables more
    visible, to hopefully get iproute rebuilt whenever libxtables bumps
    soname.
    Thanks to iptables maintainer for splitting libxtables9 into
    a separate package in version 1.4.16.3-2.

Maybe this is also related?

Best regards
Uwe

* Re: [ptxdist] iproute2 dependencies
@ 2016-10-17 13:13   ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2016-10-17 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König; +Cc: Alexander Aring, ptxdist

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 02:54:51PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:48:37PM +0200, Clemens Gruber wrote:
> > What's also interesting to me is that Debian does not depend on
> > libxtables11, it is only recommended.
> Looking at iproute2 4.6.0-4, it build-depends on iptables-dev though. So
> maybe only the headers are needed, but not the library?!
>
> In the changelog there is:
>
> iproute (20121001-2) experimental; urgency=low
>
>   * Generate recommends for optional module dependencies
>     This makes the optional module dependency on libxtables more
>     visible, to hopefully get iproute rebuilt whenever libxtables bumps
>     soname.
>     Thanks to iptables maintainer for splitting libxtables9 into
>     a separate package in version 1.4.16.3-2.
>
> Maybe this is also related?

Somewhat. The situation is like this:
iproute has plugins that are loaded at runtime with dlopen. Some of them
need libxtables. So unless these plugins are actually used libxtables is
not needed. So libxtables a optional _runtime_ dependency but to build a
working plugin its a required _buildtime_ dependency.

The current code is rather broken. It has some imported iptables headers
(from version 1.6.0), but those are useless because xtables-version.h is
missing...

Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] iproute2 dependencies
@ 2016-10-17 13:21     ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2016-10-17 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Alexander Aring, Uwe Kleine-König

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 03:13:49PM +0200, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 02:54:51PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:48:37PM +0200, Clemens Gruber wrote:
> > > What's also interesting to me is that Debian does not depend on
> > > libxtables11, it is only recommended.
> > Looking at iproute2 4.6.0-4, it build-depends on iptables-dev though. So
> > maybe only the headers are needed, but not the library?!
> >
> > In the changelog there is:
> >
> > iproute (20121001-2) experimental; urgency=low
> >
> >   * Generate recommends for optional module dependencies
> >     This makes the optional module dependency on libxtables more
> >     visible, to hopefully get iproute rebuilt whenever libxtables bumps
> >     soname.
> >     Thanks to iptables maintainer for splitting libxtables9 into
> >     a separate package in version 1.4.16.3-2.
> >
> > Maybe this is also related?
>
> Somewhat. The situation is like this:
> iproute has plugins that are loaded at runtime with dlopen. Some of them
> need libxtables. So unless these plugins are actually used libxtables is
> not needed. So libxtables a optional _runtime_ dependency but to build a
> working plugin its a required _buildtime_ dependency.
>
> The current code is rather broken. It has some imported iptables headers
> (from version 1.6.0), but those are useless because xtables-version.h is
> missing...

Clemens: I think a patch that adds xtables-version.h is the cleanest
solution. The resulting m_xt.so will be broken because it doesn't link to
libiptables but we don't install that right now.

If someone wants it we can add the dependency and install the plugin.

Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] iproute2 dependencies
@ 2016-10-17 15:23       ` Clemens Gruber
From: Clemens Gruber @ 2016-10-17 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 03:21:08PM +0200, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> Clemens: I think a patch that adds xtables-version.h is the cleanest
> solution. The resulting m_xt.so will be broken because it doesn't link to
> libiptables but we don't install that right now.

Good idea! I'll send a patch shortly. (on top of the 4.8 version bump)

Thanks,
Clemens