From: David Jander <david@protonic.nl>
To: Michael Olbrich <m.olbrich@pengutronix.de>
Cc: "ptxdist@pengutronix.de" <ptxdist@pengutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Resend: Home dir fixup for root in systemd
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:55:14 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Michael,

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 08:55:13 +0200
Michael Olbrich <m.olbrich@pengutronix.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 04:00:34PM +0200, David Jander wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 15:19:59 +0200
> > Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia <guille.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Wouldn't it be easier to either use a custom /etc/passwd, or create a /root
> > > dir in the filesystem ? That sounds better than patching systemd.
> >
> > Maybe it would be better to change the default /etc/passwd (and everywhere
> > else) in ptxdist then...
> >
> > The problem is that what /etc/passwd says is mandatory. The home directory has
> > a special meaning to the user. You can get to the home directory via $HOME
> > passed in the environment, or via the NS-switch (getent) lookup. They are
> > supposed to be the same.
> > systemd has hardcoded defaults in source-code, which by definition is ugly as
> > hell, but the reason is clearly to avoid potentially expensive, blocking
> > NSS-lookups in the early boot stages, so it is understandable. It would be a
> > lot better if there was some configuration setting read from a file I guess,
> > but alas.
> > On PTXdist now (with the default, shipped /etc/passwd), a user logging in as
> > "root" via, say a serial console getty, will have a different $HOME than a
> > systemd service started with User=root. This is bad, and can potentially do
> > funny things people will not like.
> > To solve the problem, there are really only two options AFAICS:
> >
> >  1.- Change PTXdist and all places in it that assume the $HOME=/home for root.
> >  No idea how many places that are, nor how many users already depend on this
> >  historic assumption.
> >
> > or
> >
> >  2.- Patch systemd to adapt to the reality of PTXdist.
> >
> > I agree that option 1 is probably better if PTXdist is more or less the only
> > place on earth left where $HOME != /root for uid=0. Historically on Unix it
> > used to be "/", but that is just way too ugly (guess where the name "root"
> > came from?).
> >
> > Using a custom /etc/passwd is not an option, because the default PTXdist stays
> > broken this way.
> >
> > Creating a /root dir is also broken, because like I explained above, the root
> > user will become schizophrenic when logging in and running services from
> > systemd alternately. Think about a user logging in, starting a tool that
> > writes a config files to ~/.bla, and then configuring the same tool to run as a
> > system service. I would (did!) get slightly mad when finding the tool to run
> > with a totally different configuration in the latter case.
>
> Unless someone comes up with a really good reason, then I think we should go
> with option 2. I have actually considered making the change in the past
> just to be consistent. But I never got around to do it.
> I didn't notice this problem, probably because my rootfs is usually
> read-only, and /root and /home are both empty.
>
> It would be great if some more people would speak up. Such a change can
> [...]

Ok, just so we understand each other, you propose to go with my original patch
in this case (i.e. patch systemd to assume $HOME=/home), right?
In case nobody speaks up against it, will you pick it up as-is, or should I
make a correct patch (i.e. learn how to properly use git-ptxdist-patch to
generate a correct series file) and post it here?

Best regards,

--
David Jander
Protonic Holland.