* [ptxdist] Modifing platform rules
@ 2014-09-24  8:30 Alan Martinovic
From: Alan Martinovic @ 2014-09-24  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,
I'm trying to get use the kernel from an external source (git repository).
The chapter 6.1. defines this how to do this, however it doesn't suite me because it requires additional manual work for someone setting up the build system.

I know how to write the .make and .in file for the kernel but in the userpace configuration (creating kernel.in and kernel.make in /rules) but that would completely ignore the kernel platform settings which I don't believe is the intended way.

What is the proper way to extend the platform rules and .in files?

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

* Re: [ptxdist] Modifing platform rules
@ 2014-09-24 11:53 ` Juergen Borleis
From: Juergen Borleis @ 2014-09-24 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Alan Martinovic

Hi Alan,

On Wednesday 24 September 2014 10:30:36 Alan Martinovic wrote:
> I'm trying to get use the kernel from an external source (git repository).
> The chapter 6.1. defines this how to do this, however it doesn't suite me
> because it requires additional manual work for someone setting up the build
> system.
>
> I know how to write the .make and .in file for the kernel but in the
> userpace configuration (creating kernel.in and kernel.make in /rules) but
> that would completely ignore the kernel platform settings which I don't
> believe is the intended way.
>
> What is the proper way to extend the platform rules and .in files?

Do it in the platform. But the folder names differ. The *.make files should be
still in the rules/ directory inside the platform directory, but the
corresponding *.in file must be located in the platforms/ directory.

So, if your platform is located in configs/platform-myboard/ the kernel rules
must be located in:

configs/platform-myboard/platforms/kernel.in
configs/platform-myboard/rules/kernel.make

Happy hacking
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Borleis             |
Industrial Linux Solutions                    | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |

* Re: [ptxdist] Modifing platform rules
@ 2014-10-05 13:16   ` Alan Martinovic
From: Alan Martinovic @ 2014-10-05 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Borleis, ptxdist

Hi,

I'm trying to add a new menu option in the platform Kconfig.

Here is what i did so far:
Copy the /usr/local/lib/ptxdist-2014.09.0/platforms/Kconfig to oselas.bsp/platforms

I've tested it and changes on the oselas.bsp/platforms/Kconfig are shown in the platformconfig.
I want to add a new top level menu entry.
I add:

menu "custom image creation rules  "
source "platforms/custom_image.in"
endmenu

to oselas.bsp/platforms/Kconfig and that
gives a "can't open file" when running ptxdist platformconfig

However, if I put an absolute path, everything works.

menu "custom image creation rules  "
source "absolute_path_to/platforms/custom_image.in"
endmenu

Relative to what path does the extended Kconfig look for .in files?