* [ptxdist] install_copy not recognizing path to a file
@ 2014-09-23  7:11 Alan Martinovic
From: Alan Martinovic @ 2014-09-23  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

I'm adding a custom application into the build system and I'm having undefined issues with install_copy.
I have defined the rule as follows:

*$(MYLIB_SOURCE_LOCAL) is the path where the binaries are located. (oselas.project/build/mylib -1234)

$(STATEDIR)/mylib.targetinstall:
                @$(call targetinfo)
                @$(call install_init, mylib)
                @$(call install_fixup, mylib,PRIORITY,optional)
                @$(call install_fixup, mylib,SECTION,base)
                @$(call install_fixup, mylib,AUTHOR,"<>")
                @$(call install_fixup, mylib,DESCRIPTION,missing)

                @$(call install_copy, mylib, 0, 0, 0755, $(MYLIB_SOURCE_LOCAL)/mylib.a, /usr/lib/mylib.a)
                @$(call install_copy, mylib, 0, 0, 0755, $(MYLIB_SOURCE_LOCAL)/include/mylib.h, /usr/include/mylib.h)

                @$(call install_finish, mylib)
                @$(call touch)

When I run targetinstall I get the following error:
install file:
  src=oselas.project/build/mylib -1234
  dst=/usr/lib/libzxmlconfig.a
  owner=0
  group=0
  permissions=0755

install: omitting directory '/home/user/Workspace/oselas.project/build/mylib -1234

For some reason it doesn't append the /mylib.a to the path. Any ideas on this?

BR
Alan

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

* Re: [ptxdist] install_copy not recognizing path to a file
@ 2014-09-23  7:33 ` Juergen Borleis
From: Juergen Borleis @ 2014-09-23  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Alan Martinovic

Hi Alan,

On Tuesday 23 September 2014 09:11:32 Alan Martinovic wrote:
> I'm adding a custom application into the build system and I'm having
> undefined issues with install_copy. I have defined the rule as follows:
>
> *$(MYLIB_SOURCE_LOCAL) is the path where the binaries are located. (oselas.project/build/mylib -1234)

Please don't use whitespaces in path names.

> $(STATEDIR)/mylib.targetinstall:
>                 @$(call targetinfo)
>                 @$(call install_init, mylib)
>                 @$(call install_fixup, mylib,PRIORITY,optional)
>                 @$(call install_fixup, mylib,SECTION,base)
>                 @$(call install_fixup, mylib,AUTHOR,"<>")
>                 @$(call install_fixup, mylib,DESCRIPTION,missing)
>
>                 @$(call install_copy, mylib, 0, 0, 0755, $(MYLIB_SOURCE_LOCAL)/mylib.a, /usr/lib/mylib.a)
>                 @$(call install_copy, mylib, 0, 0, 0755, $(MYLIB_SOURCE_LOCAL)/include/mylib.h, /usr/include/mylib.h)
>
>                 @$(call install_finish, mylib)
>                 @$(call touch)
>
> When I run targetinstall I get the following error:
> install file:
>   src=oselas.project/build/mylib -1234
>   dst=/usr/lib/libzxmlconfig.a
>   owner=0
>   group=0
>   permissions=0755
>
> install: omitting directory
> '/home/user/Workspace/oselas.project/build/mylib -1234

Your output here does not match to your shown rule file content above.

> For some reason it doesn't append the /mylib.a to the path. Any ideas on
> this?

Remove the whitespace from the path name.

BTW: why do you want to install a library archive? *.a archives are used at
link time only and not used at runtime. Same is valid for header files. They
are used at compile time only.

Regards
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Borleis             |
Industrial Linux Solutions                    | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |

* Re: [ptxdist] install_copy not recognizing path to a file
@ 2014-09-23  8:20   ` Alan Martinovic
From: Alan Martinovic @ 2014-09-23  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Borleis, ptxdist

I've tried to make things more readable and did a typo. There aren't any whitespaces in the original.

libzxmlconfig.make:

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Target-Install
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

$(STATEDIR)/libzxmlconfig.targetinstall:
	@$(call targetinfo)

	@$(call install_init, libzxmlconfig)
	@$(call install_fixup, libzxmlconfig,PRIORITY,optional)
	@$(call install_fixup, libzxmlconfig,SECTION,base)
	@$(call install_fixup, libzxmlconfig,AUTHOR,"<>")
	@$(call install_fixup, libzxmlconfig,DESCRIPTION,missing)

	@$(call install_copy, libzxmlconfig, 0, 0, 0755, $(LIBZXMLCONFIG_SOURCE_LOCAL)/libzxmlconfig.a, $(PTXDIST_WORKSPACE)/platform-turbine/sysroot-target/usr/lib/libzxmlconfig.a)
	@$(call install_copy, libzxmlconfig, 0, 0, 0755, $(LIBZXMLCONFIG_SOURCE_LOCAL)/include/SipServerConfig.h, $(PTXDIST_WORKSPACE)/platform-turbine/sysroot-target/usr/include/SipServerConfig.h)
	@$(call install_copy, libzxmlconfig, 0, 0, 0755, $(LIBZXMLCONFIG_SOURCE_LOCAL)/include/ZConfig_globals.h, $(PTXDIST_WORKSPACE)/platform-turbine/sysroot-target/usr/include/ZConfig_globals.h)
	@$(call install_copy, libzxmlconfig, 0, 0, 0755, $(LIBZXMLCONFIG_SOURCE_LOCAL)/include/z_xml.h, $(PTXDIST_WORKSPACE)/platform-turbine/sysroot-target/usr/include/z_xml.h)

	@$(call install_finish, libzxmlconfig)
	@$(call touch)

Output from running "ptxdist targetinstall libzxmlconfig":

-----------------------------------
target: libzxmlconfig.targetinstall
-----------------------------------

install_init:	preparing for image creation of 'libzxmlconfig'...
install_init:	@ARCH@ -> armel
install_init:	@PACKAGE@ -> libzxmlconfig
install_init:	@VERSION@ -> 1234
install_init:	@DEPENDS@ ->
install_init:	preinst not available
install_init:	postinst not available
install_init:	prerm not available
install_init:	postrm not available
install_fixup:	@PRIORITY@ -> optional ... done.
install_fixup:	@SECTION@ -> base ... done.
install_fixup:	@AUTHOR@ -> "<>" ... done.
install_fixup:	@DESCRIPTION@ -> missing ... done.
xpkg_finish:	collecting license (unknown) ... done.
xpkg_finish:	creating ipkg package ...
install file:
  src=oselas.bsp/build/libzxmlconfig-1234
  dst=/usr/lib/libzxmlconfig.a
  owner=0
  group=0
  permissions=0755

install: omitting directory '/home/user/Workspace/oselas.bsp/build/libzxmlconfig-1234'
Error: install_file failed!
make: *** [/home/user/Workspace/oselas.bsp/platform-turbine/state/libzxmlconfig.targetinstall] Error 1
failed

> BTW: why do you want to install a library archive? *.a archives are used at link time only and not used at runtime. Same is valid for header files. They are used at compile time only.

Thank you for pointing out the error.
It should be moved to the sysroot-target/lib (as in above sample)?

@ 2014-09-23  8:54     ` Alan Martinovic
From: Alan Martinovic @ 2014-09-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist, Juergen Borleis

It seems we've traced the problem to the versioning number.

Conclusion:
We had a dummy version number 1234.
So the varable was: $(LIBZXMLCONFIG_SOURCE_LOCAL)  -> /home/user/Workspace/oselas.bsp/build/libzxmlconfig-1234
in which case it didn't append the aditional path to it. $(LIBZXMLCONFIG_SOURCE_LOCAL)/libzxmlconfig.a -> /home/user/Workspace/oselas.bsp/build/libzxmlconfig-1234

Once the version was changed to a format with dots 1.0.0.0
So the varable was: $(LIBZXMLCONFIG_SOURCE_LOCAL)  -> /home/user/Workspace/oselas.bsp/build/libzxmlconfig-1.0.0.0
It started to append: $(LIBZXMLCONFIG_SOURCE_LOCAL)/libzxmlconfig.a -> /home/user/Workspace/oselas.bsp/build/libzxmlconfig-1.0.0.0/libzxmlconfig.a

@ 2014-09-23  9:57     ` Juergen Borleis
From: Juergen Borleis @ 2014-09-23  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Alan Martinovic

Hi Alan,

On Tuesday 23 September 2014 10:20:05 Alan Martinovic wrote:
> $(STATEDIR)/libzxmlconfig.targetinstall:
> 	@$(call targetinfo)
>
> 	@$(call install_init, libzxmlconfig)
> 	@$(call install_fixup, libzxmlconfig,PRIORITY,optional)
> 	@$(call install_fixup, libzxmlconfig,SECTION,base)
> 	@$(call install_fixup, libzxmlconfig,AUTHOR,"<>")
> 	@$(call install_fixup, libzxmlconfig,DESCRIPTION,missing)
>
> 	@$(call install_copy, libzxmlconfig, 0, 0, 0755, $(LIBZXMLCONFIG_SOURCE_LOCAL)/libzxmlconfig.a, $(PTXDIST_WORKSPACE)/platform-turbine/sysroot-target/usr/lib/libzxmlconfig.a)

Don't do that! "install_copy" is for the target. What you are trying is for
your build host and regularly done in the "install" stage!

Provide a simple "install" stage in your package's Makefile PTXdist can call.

install:
	cp -v libzxmlconfig.a $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/lib/libzxmlconfig.a
	cp -v include/SipServerConfig.h $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/usr/include/SipServerConfig.h
	cp -v include/ZConfig_globals.h $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/include/ZConfig_globals.h
	cp -v include/z_xml.h $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/include/z_xml.h

When PTXdist will call your Makefile to install the files for further building
other sources, it provides the correct values for DESTDIR and PREFIX.

Regards,
Juergen

--

@ 2014-09-23 10:04       ` Juergen Borleis
From: Juergen Borleis @ 2014-09-23 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Alan Martinovic

Hi Alan,

ups, I hit the send button to early...

On Tuesday 23 September 2014 11:57:48 Juergen Borleis wrote:
> [...]
> Provide a simple "install" stage in your package's Makefile PTXdist can
> call.

Should be read as an '"install" target' instead of the '"install" stage'.

> install:
> 	cp -v libzxmlconfig.a $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/lib/libzxmlconfig.a
> 	cp -v include/SipServerConfig.h $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/usr/include/SipServerConfig.h cp -v
                                                            ^^^^
One needless 'usr/'

Regards,
Juergen

--

@ 2014-09-23 12:34         ` Alan Martinovic
From: Alan Martinovic @ 2014-09-23 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Borleis, ptxdist

Thank you for the explaniation.
The issue is solved :)

On Tuesday 23 September 2014 11:57:48 Juergen Borleis wrote:
> [...]
> Provide a simple "install" stage in your package's Makefile PTXdist
> can call.

Should be read as an '"install" target' instead of the '"install" stage'.

> install:
> 	cp -v libzxmlconfig.a $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/lib/libzxmlconfig.a
> 	cp -v include/SipServerConfig.h
> $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/usr/include/SipServerConfig.h cp -v
                                                            ^^^^ One needless 'usr/'

Regards,
Juergen

--

@ 2014-10-03 13:38 ` Alan Martinovic
From: Alan Martinovic @ 2014-10-03 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

A note on the problem.

Striping and removing quotes from env variables from Kconfig also solved the problem.

For quotes:

$(subst $\",,$(PTXCONF_YOUR_VARIABLE))

For whitespaces

$(strip $(PTXDIST_ YOUR_VARIABLE))