* [ptxdist] ptxdist 2012.12.0 installation - python-devel packages problem
@ 2014-04-13  8:43 Stella GZ
From: Stella GZ @ 2014-04-13  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello,

I'm trying to install ptxdist following this instructions:
http://www.pengutronix.de/oselas/bsp/pengutronix/download/OSELAS.BSP-Pengutronix-Generic-arm-Quickstart.pdf
I need to install:
ptxdist-2012.12.0.tar.bz2
OSELAS.BSP-Pengutronix-Generic-2012.12.0.tar.gz
OSELAS.Toolchain-2012.12.0.tar.bz2

I get the problem with sed, and I found this solution in this mailing list:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.embedded.ptxdist.devel/11297

Everything goes fine, until I get to install ptxdist as usual, and I run
    ./configure.

I get this error:
    configure: error: some python development files could not be found, you
are likely using suse or redhat system as host. In this case please install
the python-devel packages

Python-devel packages are already installed in my system:

$sudo apt-get install python-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python-dev is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.

What can I do?

* Re: [ptxdist] ptxdist 2012.12.0 installation - python-devel packages problem
@ 2014-04-13 15:44 ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2014-04-13 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: m.olbrich

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 08:43:02AM +0000, Stella GZ wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install ptxdist following this instructions:
> http://www.pengutronix.de/oselas/bsp/pengutronix/download/OSELAS.BSP-Pengutronix-Generic-arm-Quickstart.pdf
> I need to install:
> ptxdist-2012.12.0.tar.bz2
> OSELAS.BSP-Pengutronix-Generic-2012.12.0.tar.gz
> OSELAS.Toolchain-2012.12.0.tar.bz2
>
> I get the problem with sed, and I found this solution in this mailing list:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.embedded.ptxdist.devel/11297
>

> Everything goes fine, until I get to install ptxdist as usual, and I run
>     ./configure.
>

> I get this error:
>     configure: error: some python development files could not be found, you
> are likely using suse or redhat system as host. In this case please install
> the python-devel packages
>
> Python-devel packages are already installed in my system:
>
> $sudo apt-get install python-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> python-dev is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.

mhh interesting:

python2 -c "import distutils.sysconfig; print
distutils.sysconfig.get_makefile_filename()"

works but:

python3 -c "import distutils.sysconfig; print
distutils.sysconfig.get_makefile_filename()"

doesn't work.

I think this is because you have python3 installed and your python is a
python3 instead a python2. I will write a patch to check on this. Thanks
for the report!

So you should simple fix it with an "sudo aptitude install python2" or
python2.7 or python2.6

I don't know the exact package name, I am not a clickibuntu guru :-)

Message to Michael Olbrich:
What should we do now? Check on a right python version or fix the
invalid syntax for python3? I suppose we should check on python2.x
because I don't know if ptxdist python things works with python3
correct.

- Alex

* Re: [ptxdist] ptxdist 2012.12.0 installation - python-devel packages problem
@ 2014-04-14  5:42   ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2014-04-14  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: m.olbrich

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 05:44:42PM +0200, Alexander Aring wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 08:43:02AM +0000, Stella GZ wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to install ptxdist following this instructions:
> > http://www.pengutronix.de/oselas/bsp/pengutronix/download/OSELAS.BSP-Pengutronix-Generic-arm-Quickstart.pdf
> > I need to install:
> > ptxdist-2012.12.0.tar.bz2
> > OSELAS.BSP-Pengutronix-Generic-2012.12.0.tar.gz
> > OSELAS.Toolchain-2012.12.0.tar.bz2
> >
> > I get the problem with sed, and I found this solution in this mailing list:
> > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.embedded.ptxdist.devel/11297
> >

> > Everything goes fine, until I get to install ptxdist as usual, and I run
> >     ./configure.
> >

> > I get this error:
> >     configure: error: some python development files could not be found, you
> > are likely using suse or redhat system as host. In this case please install
> > the python-devel packages
> >
> > Python-devel packages are already installed in my system:
> >
> > $sudo apt-get install python-dev
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > python-dev is already the newest version.
> > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
> >

> mhh interesting:
>
> python2 -c "import distutils.sysconfig; print
> distutils.sysconfig.get_makefile_filename()"
>
> works but:
>
> python3 -c "import distutils.sysconfig; print
> distutils.sysconfig.get_makefile_filename()"
>
> doesn't work.
>
> I think this is because you have python3 installed and your python is a
> python3 instead a python2. I will write a patch to check on this. Thanks
> for the report!
>
> So you should simple fix it with an "sudo aptitude install python2" or
> python2.7 or python2.6

A little more information about your problem here which I mean in the
text above. You have only python3 installed and no python2. Configure
checks for python2.7, python2.6 and python binaries in your PATH.

This is priority list, first try match to python2.7 ... and so on until
python. Is your python now a python in version three and there is no
python2.7 and python2.6 -> test crashs.

That's my theory for now.

- Alex