From: "Jürgen Beisert" <jbe@pengutronix.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] sporadic crashes of shell commands
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 14:20:14 +0100	[thread overview]

On Friday 17 January 2014 13:50:45 Arno Euteneuer wrote:
> Hi Jürgen,
>
> > [...]
> > Is there a correlation between the memory size the kernel gets reported
> > and the used memory devices soldered onto the board? ;)
> >
> > [...]
>
> I hope there is a very strong correlation ;-)

:)

> We have 256MB DDR2 RAM and 512MB NAND flash and get the following:
>
> root@dlcpro:~ cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:         235876 kB
> MemFree:          169852 kB
> Buffers:               0 kB
> Cached:            27988 kB
> SwapCached:            0 kB
> Active:            15648 kB
> Inactive:          22560 kB
> Active(anon):      10300 kB
> Inactive(anon):      104 kB
> Active(file):       5348 kB
> Inactive(file):    22456 kB
> Unevictable:           0 kB
> Mlocked:               0 kB
> SwapTotal:             0 kB
> SwapFree:              0 kB
> Dirty:                 0 kB
> Writeback:             0 kB
> AnonPages:         10248 kB
> Mapped:            29924 kB
> Shmem:               184 kB
> Slab:              11100 kB
> SReclaimable:       4848 kB
> SUnreclaim:         6252 kB
> KernelStack:         544 kB
> PageTables:          336 kB
> NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
> Bounce:                0 kB
> WritebackTmp:          0 kB
> CommitLimit:      117936 kB
> Committed_AS:      73872 kB
> VmallocTotal:     761856 kB
> VmallocUsed:       27740 kB
> VmallocChunk:     639888 kB
>
> This looks very much the same with either of the kernels, independent of
> the used toolchain. For me this looks ok, doesn't it? (Although I must
> admit I'm not really sure what VmallocTotal tells me and whether it is
> correct to be so large. Looks like RAM + Flash?)

Looks okay in your case. Some time ago we faced similar failures when the
system starts to grow its memory consumption. Until it uses the really amount
of memory everything was fine, and when it hits the border to the non existing
memory unpredictable things happend similar to yours.

Regards,
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |