From: "Jürgen Beisert" <jbe@pengutronix.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Cc: "Olbrich, Michael" <m.olbrich@pengutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] git ptxdist best practices
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 09:10:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Jon,

On Wednesday 08 January 2014 15:14:26 Jon Ringle wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:59 AM, Jürgen Beisert <jbe@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> > Do you want to use this BSP only by your own, or is it intended to
> > provide it to other developers who use it as a base for their own work?
> > In the latter case I would "release" the various components and create
> > archives of it. And these archives can simply be part of the (finally)
> > released BSP you provide to other developers (in contrast to the
> > downloadable archives PTXdist uses for the remaining packages like Busybox,
> > Qt and so on).
> >
> Yes, this will be for other developers to base their work off of.
>
> So, what exactly would be included in the "release" BSP?
> platform/sysroot-*/ and platform/root*/ ??

No. These directories exist at buildtime only and will be recreated and filled
up at each PTXdist run. Their content depends on the selected toolchain and
package selection. You should keep this behaviour for the user of the BSP.

Maybe I read your first question wrong: You have some development made and the
results are part of a few external git repositories, haven't you?
Why not tar them (not the whole repository, just a released variant: git
archive --format=tar ...) and include the archive in the BSP? The
corresponding rule file uses a local URL pointing to this archive and you are
done.

> > If you still want to use git repositories for the external components we
> > should wait for Michael, because he can explain how to use the PTXdist
> > feature which deals with such repositories.
> >
> Yes, I'd like to understand better ptxdist features to support externat
> components maintained by our own git repos :)

But this can work only, if everyone using your BSP has access to these
repositories.

Regards,
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |