From: "Jürgen Beisert" <jbe@pengutronix.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Cc: Sander Stoks <Sander.Stoks@phenom-world.com>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Where do configure options for simple autotools packages come from?
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 15:58:54 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Sander,

please keep the mailing list on CC.

On Tuesday 08 October 2013 15:30:23 Sander Stoks wrote:
> > Where did you read there is "not need for a rule file"? Each package in
> > PTXdist needs a rule file. The content of this rule may vary, depending
> > on the package's build system.
>
> On page 34 of the english manual, it is explained under "Adding new
> Packages",
>
> "In this example we expect an autotoolized source package. E.g. to prepare
> the build, the archive comes with a configure script. This is the default
> case for PTXdist. So, there is no need to modify the rule file and we can
> simply run ptxdist prepare foo"

I have written there is "no need to modify the rule file", I haven't
written "there is no need for a rule file". ;)

> Since I could not find the relevant rules file (looking in the wrong place)
> I thought that maybe there was a "generic" rule for any package containing
> a ./configure script.

There is generic code what has to be done in each stage. If you do not provide
your own stage code in your rule file, the generic code will be used instead.
For (perfect) autotoolized packages the generic stage code can be used.

> However, I was suspicious about this since there were definitely options
> being passed to ./configure.

To forward special options to the configure stage you just have to provide the
<yourpackage-name>_CONF_OPT variable. But no code. The generic code uses the
*_CONF_OPT content automagically.

> Getting the required dependencies to work is a simple matter of defining
> packages for those (in this case, krb5-libs-devel, keyutils-libs-devel, and
> libwbclient-devel) and selecting those?

Dependencies are handled inside the *.in files via "select". If you enable a
package and this package needs another package, the enabled package must
select the package it depends on. PTXdist also uses these "select" statements
to define the build order of the packages.

Regards,
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |