From: Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de,
	"Dr. Patrick Langfeld" <patrick.langfeld@optimeas.de>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Crosscompile a WIFI USB stick firmware with ptxdist
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 15:01:40 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Dr. Patrick Langfeld,

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 13:12:28 +0000, Dr. Patrick Langfeld wrote:

> My kernel is already configured with the wireless LAN components for
> 80211 and the driver in Lan USB network adapter using the CARL9170,
> which is the correct one for the DWA-160.
>
> Now the hard part is to crosscompile the firmware carl9170-1.fw for the
> USB network adapter. The sources can be found in a git repository
> https://github.com/chunkeey/carl9170fw.git

If you don't intend to do active development on this firmware, it's
probably easier to use a pre-built version of it, as available at
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170#Firmware_binary.

> and come with an autogen.sh script file, which I attached for you to
> have a look at.
>
> Now I am wondering HOW TO PROCEED and implement the build process of
> autogen.sh in ptxdist and which package type is appropriate. Is it a
> ./ptx newpackage target or a src-cmake-prog as the autogen.sh makes use
> of cmake.
> In the readme file is written, that to build the firmware one would need
> a SH-2 toolchain. Is this also true for cross-compilation? Do I really
> need to build this toolchain first?

The firmware is the code that runs *inside* your Wifi chip, and
apparently this Wifi chip uses a SuperH 2 processor. So, regardless of
whether your embedded system uses a ARM processor, a x86 processor, or
something else, your USB Wifi device embeds a SH2 processor, and the
firmware is targeting this processor, not your main application
processor (ARM i.MX53 in your case).

So again, unless you need to make modifications to the firmware, I
would probably recommend to go with a pre-built version.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons