From: Robert Schwebel <r.schwebel@pengutronix.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Why the huge version discrepancy between OSELAS Toolchain and PTXdist?
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 19:48:20 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 02:37:11PM +0200, Adrian.Baumgarth@l-3com.com
wrote:
> I am wondering why there is this huge version discrepancy between the
> latest OSELAS Toolchain (2011.11.3 from 18-Sep-2012) and the latest
> PTXdist (2012.09.1 from 26-Sep-2012).
>
> As I understand I have to go back nearly one year to PTXdist 2011.11.0
> to build the latest Toolchain.
>
> I know that I can have multiple version of PDXdist installed, but I
> wonder whether there are any interests in updating the Toolchain for a
> newer PTXdist.

ptxdist is about 'executable documentation' and 'reproducability', which
means that any project specifies the ptxdist version it has been built
with, in order to make things reproducable.

As you can install any ptxdist version in parallel, it is absolutely no
problem to build the toolchain with another ptxdist version than the
BSP.

Having that said, we have recently relaxed the rules for the toolchain a
bit. OSELAS.Toolchain is a bit special in that it uses none of the rules
in ptxdist, just the dependency deduction mechanism. So with reasonably
new ptxdist versions, it is possible to build the toolchains as well.

rsc