* [ptxdist] rsyslog does not work with systemd 189
@ 2012-09-19 10:13 Schenk, Gavin
From: Schenk, Gavin @ 2012-09-19 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

rsyslog does not work with systemd 189. One cause is the systemd unitfile delivered with rsyslog.
It looks like:

<SNIP>
[Unit]
Description=System Logging Service

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/bin/systemctl stop systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service
ExecStart=@sbindir@/rsyslogd -n -c6
Sockets=syslog.socket
StandardOutput=null
</SNIP>

But in newer systemd environments it should look like:
[Unit]
Description=System Logging Service
Requires=syslog.socket

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/syslog-ng -n
StandardOutput=null

[Install]
Alias=syslog.service
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service does not exist anymore and this leads to infinite errors during bootup. I had a look to newer versions of rsyslog, but even in rsyslog 7.1.3 the rsyslog.service.in looks the same old way.

I am not sure what is the best way to fix this? Meantime I use a local patch in my project.

Regards
Gavin
Eckelmann Aktiengesellschaft
Vorstand: Dr.-Ing. Gerd Eckelmann (Vorsitzender)
Dr.-Ing. Peter Cordes, Dr.-Ing. Frank-Thomas Mellert
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Hubertus G. Krossa
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Wiesbaden Amtsgericht Wiesbaden HRB 12636

* Re: [ptxdist] rsyslog does not work with systemd 189
@ 2012-09-19 12:13 ` Wolf Erik
From: Wolf Erik @ 2012-09-19 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Schenk, Gavin

Hey Gavin,

Schenk, Gavin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> rsyslog does not work with systemd 189. One cause is the systemd
> unitfile delivered with rsyslog.
> It looks like:
>
> <SNIP>
> [Unit]
> Description=System Logging Service
>
> [Service]
> ExecStartPre=/bin/systemctl stop systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service
> ExecStart=@sbindir@/rsyslogd -n -c6 Sockets=syslog.socket
> StandardOutput=null </SNIP>
>
> But in newer systemd environments it should look like:
> [Unit]
> Description=System Logging Service
> Requires=syslog.socket
>
> [Service]
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/syslog-ng -n
> StandardOutput=null
>
> [Install]
> Alias=syslog.service
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> The systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service does not exist anymore and this
> leads to infinite errors during bootup. I had a look to newer
> versions of rsyslog, but even in rsyslog 7.1.3 the rsyslog.service.in
> looks the same old way.
>
> I am not sure what is the best way to fix this? Meantime I use a
> local patch in my project.

I have currently the same problem, can you share your Patch until a final solution?

> Regards
> Gavin
> Eckelmann Aktiengesellschaft
> Vorstand: Dr.-Ing. Gerd Eckelmann (Vorsitzender) Dr.-Ing. Peter
> Cordes, Dr.-Ing. Frank-Thomas Mellert Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
> Hubertus G. Krossa Sitz der Gesellschaft: Wiesbaden Amtsgericht
> Wiesbaden HRB 12636

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

i.A. Erik Wolf
Hardwareentwicklung

Neuberger Gebäudeautomation GmbH
Oberer Kaiserweg 6
91541 Rothenburg o.d.T.

Telefon:  +49 9861 402-542
Telefax:  +49 9861 402-533
E-Mail:   erik.wolf@neuberger.net
Internet: www.neuberger.net

Handelsregister: AG Ansbach HRB 4933
Sitz: Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Geschäftsführer: Klaus Lenkner
Ust.IdNr. DE 271 188 426

* Re: [ptxdist] rsyslog does not work with systemd 189
@ 2012-09-19 12:42   ` Schenk, Gavin
From: Schenk, Gavin @ 2012-09-19 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

without any warranty :D ...
I´m not sure if I can attach files to this mail, but i´ll give it a try.

Attached you hopefully find a file named patch_rsyslog-5.8.12.tgz.

Put this file into $(PTXDIST_PROJECTDIR)/patches and extract it with:
tar -xzvf patch_rsyslog-5.8.12.tgz

Rebuild your rsyslog package with:
./ptxdist clean rsyslog
./ptxdist targetinstall rsyslog

The patch just removes the line
ExecStartPre =/bin/systemctl stop systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service
and adds
Requires=syslog.socket
in rsyslog.service.in

Hope this helps!

Regards
Gavin

[-- Attachment #2: patch_rsyslog-5.8.12.tgz --]
[-- Type: application/x-compressed, Size: 693 bytes --]

* Re: [ptxdist] rsyslog does not work with systemd 189
@ 2012-09-19 13:27     ` Wolf Erik
From: Wolf Erik @ 2012-09-19 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Schenk, Gavin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> without any warranty :D ...
> I´m not sure if I can attach files to this mail, but i´ll give it a
> try.
>
> Attached you hopefully find a file named patch_rsyslog-5.8.12.tgz.
>
> Put this file into $(PTXDIST_PROJECTDIR)/patches and extract it with:
> tar -xzvf patch_rsyslog-5.8.12.tgz
>
> Rebuild your rsyslog package with:
> ./ptxdist clean rsyslog
> ./ptxdist targetinstall rsyslog
>
> The patch just removes the line
> ExecStartPre =/bin/systemctl stop systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service and
> adds Requires=syslog.socket in rsyslog.service.in

Are you sure that you need "Requires=syslog.socket"?

I have tried it and it doesn't work. It seems to be work if i remove the previous configline.
Otherwise the service failed due this: A dependency job failed. See system journal for details.

> Hope this helps!
>
> Regards
> Gavin

>>> Alias=syslog.service

@ 2012-09-19 15:19       ` Schenk, Gavin
From: Schenk, Gavin @ 2012-09-19 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

> Are you sure that you need "Requires=syslog.socket"?

Please have a look here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/syslog

cit.: "Newer systemd versions (v35+) do not support non-socket-activated syslog daemons anymore and we do no longer recommend people to order their units after syslog.target"

@ 2012-09-21 15:06     ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2012-09-21 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:42:25PM +0000, Schenk, Gavin wrote:
> without any warranty :D ...
> I´m not sure if I can attach files to this mail, but i´ll give it a try.
>
> Attached you hopefully find a file named patch_rsyslog-5.8.12.tgz.
>
> Put this file into $(PTXDIST_PROJECTDIR)/patches and extract it with:
> tar -xzvf patch_rsyslog-5.8.12.tgz
>
> Rebuild your rsyslog package with:
> ./ptxdist clean rsyslog
> ./ptxdist targetinstall rsyslog
>
> The patch just removes the line
> ExecStartPre =/bin/systemctl stop systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service
> and adds
> Requires=syslog.socket
> in rsyslog.service.in
>
> Hope this helps!

I also needed the syslog.service -> rsyslog.service 'alias' symlink, or
rsyslog is not started.
Anyways, I've committed all this to ptxdist master. Please test if it works
now.

Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] rsyslog does not work with systemd 189
@ 2012-09-24  7:21       ` Wolf Erik
From: Wolf Erik @ 2012-09-24  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Michael Olbrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:42:25PM +0000, Schenk, Gavin wrote:
>> without any warranty :D ...
>> I´m not sure if I can attach files to this mail, but i´ll give it a
>> try.
>>
>> Attached you hopefully find a file named patch_rsyslog-5.8.12.tgz.
>>
>> Put this file into $(PTXDIST_PROJECTDIR)/patches and extract it with:
>> tar -xzvf patch_rsyslog-5.8.12.tgz
>>
>> Rebuild your rsyslog package with:
>> ./ptxdist clean rsyslog
>> ./ptxdist targetinstall rsyslog
>>
>> The patch just removes the line
>> ExecStartPre =/bin/systemctl stop systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service and
>> adds Requires=syslog.socket in rsyslog.service.in
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>
> I also needed the syslog.service -> rsyslog.service 'alias' symlink,
> or rsyslog is not started. Anyways, I've committed all this to
> ptxdist master. Please test if it works now.

I have tried it on our system and now with the symlink it works, too. Thanks!