* [ptxdist] [ANNOUNCE] PTXdist 2012.04.0 released
@ 2012-04-03 19:08 Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2012-04-03 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

I've released PTXdist 2012.04.0. For the most part this is the usual
collection of version bumps and bug fixes.
There is one new core feature: Runtime/Buildtime dependencies. Just use
"select FOO if RUNTIME" or "select BAR of BUILDTIME". The default is both.
This is only used in a handful of places so far. I'm sure more will come in
the future.
Thanks to all contributers. As always the shortlog below.

Enjoy,
Michael Olbrich

Alexander Dahl (2):
      dropbear: security update to version 2012.55
      file: security update to version 5.11

Alexander Stein (3):
      Fix klibc package template
      Fix install_initramfs_link
      klibc: bump 1.5.25

Andreas Bießmann (1):
      replace umkimage by u-boot sources

Bernhard Walle (11):
      procps.in: Unify wording of busybox comments
      lsof: Use cross ar and ranlib
      Makefile.in: Create symlink for xargs
      ptxdist: Check for GNU readlink
      Update mtd-utils to 1.4.9
      mtd-utils.in: Add busybox dependencies
      Add flashbench tool
      dropbear: Delete old patches
      dropbear: Fix build on Darwin
      flashbench: Fix error when flashbench is not selected
      mtd-utils: Fix build without lzo support

Christian Hemp (1):
      qt4: Set correct define for QT4_BUILD_SVG

George McCollister (4):
      openssl: bump to 1.0.0h
      proftpd: bump to 1.3.3g for security
      memcached: bump to 1.4.13
      opkg-utils: Added patch to fill out Installed-Size

Jan Luebbe (4):
      iptables: clean up
      iptables: update to new point release (1.4.12.2)
      networkmanager: add option to install example tools
      networkmanager: the current stable release does not yet contain shell examples

Juergen Beisert (1):
      OSIP2: add GNU osip2 library

Ladislav Michl (2):
      configure.ac: Improve curses searching
      scripts/ipkg-push: return nonzero on error

Michael Olbrich (23):
      libkmod: version bump 5 -> 6
      initmethod-bbinit: cleanup
      ptxd_lib_dgen: simplify deps generation
      ptxd_lib_dgen: refactor
      ptxd_lib_dgen: introduce runtime and buildtime dependencies
      glibc: only a runtime dependency is needed
      connman: dbus-python and wpa_supplicant are only needed at runtime
      uclibc: only a runtime dependency is needed
      systemd: dbus-python is only needed at runtime
      xorg-app-xinit: xauth and mcookie are only needed at runtime
      qt4: version bump 4.7.4 -> 4.8.0
      qt4: update examples & demos
      ptxd_lib_dgen: fix for older gawk
      ptxdist: fix "environment variable PTXDIST_DEP_TARGET undefined"
      fixme
      Revert accidentally pushed commit
      barebox_mlo: fix defaults
      pyside: broken: no release for Qt 4.8 yet
      flashbench: Maximum flashbench buffer size is a number
      be consistent when calling gcc to query toolchain data
      host-localedef: version bump eglibc-2.11.90-ptx1 -> eglibc-2.14.1-r17443-ptx1
      systemd: add patch to fix nmap DoS
      squashfs-tools: fix building

Remy Bohmer (5):
      Use CFLAGS specified by ptxdist platformconfig
      Add some support for multilib detection in the toolchain
      on multilib do not put all dynamic linkers in /lib
      Link /usr/lib/libdl.so is not needed and wrong on x86_64
      Pass extra platform CFLAGS to busybox make

Wolfram Sang (3):
      libmikmod: add package
      sdl_mixer: enable MOD support
      supertux: add library for music

* Re: [ptxdist] [ANNOUNCE] PTXdist 2012.04.0 released
@ 2012-04-03 20:19 ` Juergen Beisert
From: Juergen Beisert @ 2012-04-03 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Michael Olbrich

Michael Olbrich wrote:
> There is one new core feature: Runtime/Buildtime dependencies. Just use
> "select FOO if RUNTIME" or "select BAR if BUILDTIME".

Fine. Can you also explain why someone should use this new feature (or why
not)?

jbe

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |

* Re: [ptxdist] [ANNOUNCE] PTXdist 2012.04.0 released
@ 2012-04-03 20:34   ` Robert Schwebel
From: Robert Schwebel @ 2012-04-03 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Michael Olbrich

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:19:22PM +0200, Juergen Beisert wrote:
> Michael Olbrich wrote:
> > There is one new core feature: Runtime/Buildtime dependencies. Just
> > use "select FOO if RUNTIME" or "select BAR if BUILDTIME".
>
> Fine. Can you also explain why someone should use this new feature (or
> why not)?

This is one of the longstanding problems we had in ptxdist. You could
for example not express the dependency of a program against a static
library (which is compile time only), because until now "the"
dependencies are also used for opkg deps.

We don't have a clear vision where all this leads to, but having the
possibility to define both is definitely a starting point in order to
find out :-)

rsc

* Re: [ptxdist] [ANNOUNCE] PTXdist 2012.04.0 released
@ 2012-04-03 20:51   ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2012-04-03 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:19:22PM +0200, Juergen Beisert wrote:
> Michael Olbrich wrote:
> > There is one new core feature: Runtime/Buildtime dependencies. Just use
> > "select FOO if RUNTIME" or "select BAR if BUILDTIME".
>
> Fine. Can you also explain why someone should use this new feature (or why
> not)?

This is mostly to recompile less when possible. Take a look at
rules/xorg-app-xinit.in for example: startx needs mcookie so xorg-app-xinit
depends on util-linux-ng, although this is not needed to compile
xorg-app-xinit. Before this change, changing an unrelated util-linux-ng
option meant recompiling xorg-app-xinit. Now only targetinstall is
reexecuted.

Michael