From: Juergen Beisert <jbe@pengutronix.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Cc: muntaqa <muntaqa@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Using external toolchain with penguitronix BSP	distribution
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:57:43 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi muntaqa,

muntaqa wrote:
> Juergen Beisert <jbe@...> writes:
> > muntaqa wrote:
> > >
> > > This is CodeSourcery open source toolchain.  I had chosen it a while
> > > ago when building the project with buildroot.  I have been using it for
> > > a while and have built and debugged all of my applications with it on
> > > mini2440.  At this point, I did not want to discover or spend time on
> > > any other problems since I have a working system except that I am
> > > trying to add QT applications to my mini2440 platform.
> >
> > Okay.
> >
> > > Reason I switched to Pengutronix is that buildroot gave me some trouble
> > > when building QT thru it plus it had always given me kernel panic
> > > errors when installing the jffs2 root image (so I had been simply using
> > > tar balls on top of the stock kernel/rootfs that mini2440 is shipped
> > > with).  I thought switching to Pengutronix would finally let me burn a
> > > true image and I can organize my project much better.
> > >
> > > Currently, I still have kernel panic messages when building the rootfs
> > > using Pengutronix and CodeSourcery.  It seems perhaps that it is
> > > because of gcc 4.5.1 that is being used in my version of CodeSourcery.
> > > When I use your toolchain, I can burn an image properly and do not
> > > receive kernel panic messages.  Your toolchain uses gcc 4.5.2.
> >
> > Do all supported kernels show the same panic? Sometimes one kernel has
> > trouble with a specific gcc version, and other kernels not. Did you try
> > all kernels from the BSP with your CodeSourcery toolchain?
> >
> > > One issue that I see though with Pengutronix is that any time I change
> > > a selection or add anything to QT configuration in Penguitronix ptxdist
> > > menuconfig, it rebuilds the whole QT (ends up costing me couple of
> > > hours plus I am not able to try anything quickly.)
> >
> > On our new 24 core/96 GiB RAM machine Qt4 builds really quick in a few
> > minutes.
> >
> > Maybe you should start with a full blown Qt4, do your development with
> > it, and when it is finished, you can try to shrink the library by
> > disabling some of its options.
> >
> > > I would like to start using pengutronix as long as it would be less
> > > frustrating than buildroot.
> >
> > I don't know buildroot. I work with PTXdist since years.
> >
> > > BTW, my best wishes to you on this project, you guys have done alot of
> > > good work and looking at your documentation the working environment, it
> > > seems very promising.
>
> I am wondering if you would be able to help me with kernel panic issue?  I
> have tried different gcc versions of CodeSourcery with about three kernel
> versions and I always get kernel panics when booting mini2440.  I am
> following your quick start guide for either botting from nfs or nand.  I
> follow the procedure for nand updates etc.  Is there an inherent problem
> with burning JFFS2 format on mini2440 or is it Code Sourcery that perhaps
> has a problem?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Please let me know
> what information I need to provide for you to be able to help me?

First, we are now Mini2440 specific, not PTXdist. So, we should change to the
oselas@community mailing list. If you are not subscribed yet, please do so.
refer 'OSELAS Community'.

Regards,
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |