* [ptxdist] error in dgen?
@ 2011-10-07  7:06 Tim Sander
From: Tim Sander @ 2011-10-07  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi

Just out of the blue i am having this error on a amd64 platform:

ptxdist kernelconfig
ptxdist: Checking dependencies. This may take some seconds.

error: error during generation of dependencies
        (maybe amd64 executable on x86)

ptxdist: error: error in dgen

Any hints whats causing this?
Best regards
Tim

Hottinger Baldwin Messtechnik GmbH, Im Tiefen See 45, 64293 Darmstadt, Germany | www.hbm.com

Registered as GmbH (German limited liability corporation) in the commercial register at the local court of Darmstadt, HRB 1147
Company domiciled in Darmstadt | CEO: Andreas Huellhorst | Chairman of the board: James Charles Webster

Als Gesellschaft mit beschraenkter Haftung eingetragen im Handelsregister des Amtsgerichts Darmstadt unter HRB 1147
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Darmstadt | Geschaeftsfuehrung: Andreas Huellhorst | Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: James Charles Webster

The information in this email is confidential. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please let me know and delete this email.

Die in dieser E-Mail enthaltene Information ist vertraulich und lediglich fur den Empfaenger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der eigentliche Empfaenger sein, informieren Sie mich bitte kurz und loeschen diese E-Mail.

* Re: [ptxdist] error in dgen?
@ 2011-10-07  7:55 ` Tim Sander
From: Tim Sander @ 2011-10-07  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi
> Just out of the blue i am having this error on a amd64 platform:
>
> ptxdist kernelconfig
> ptxdist: Checking dependencies. This may take some seconds.
>
> error: error during generation of dependencies
>         (maybe amd64 executable on x86)
>
> ptxdist: error: error in dgen
>
> Any hints whats causing this?
Accidentially i put a openssh.in and openssh.make into the root of ptxdist.
This caused this error which was completly unhelpful in resolving this issue.

Best regards
Tim

* Re: [ptxdist] error in dgen?
@ 2011-10-08 12:30 ` Robert Schwebel
From: Robert Schwebel @ 2011-10-08 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 09:06:02AM +0200, Tim Sander wrote:
> Just out of the blue i am having this error on a amd64 platform:
>
> ptxdist kernelconfig
> ptxdist: Checking dependencies. This may take some seconds.
>
> error: error during generation of dependencies
>         (maybe amd64 executable on x86)
>
> ptxdist: error: error in dgen
>
> Any hints whats causing this?

Are you using amd64 executables on x86?

rsc

* Re: [ptxdist] error in dgen?
@ 2011-10-09 18:46   ` Tim Sander
From: Tim Sander @ 2011-10-09 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi
> > ptxdist kernelconfig
> > ptxdist: Checking dependencies. This may take some seconds.
> >
> > error: error during generation of dependencies
> >
> >         (maybe amd64 executable on x86)
> >
> > ptxdist: error: error in dgen
> >
> > Any hints whats causing this?
>
> Are you using amd64 executables on x86?
No, i found the error: I accidentially copied a openssh.make
and openssh.in file into the ptxdist root directory.

I guess it's some kernel build stuff. Anyway the error msg is
not very helpful in finding root of the cause.

Best regards
Tim

* Re: [ptxdist] error in dgen?
@ 2011-10-27 17:29   ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2011-10-27 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 09:55:34AM +0200, Tim Sander wrote:
> > Just out of the blue i am having this error on a amd64 platform:
> >
> > ptxdist kernelconfig
> > ptxdist: Checking dependencies. This may take some seconds.
> >
> > error: error during generation of dependencies
> >         (maybe amd64 executable on x86)
> >
> > ptxdist: error: error in dgen
> >
> > Any hints whats causing this?
> Accidentially i put a openssh.in and openssh.make into the root of ptxdist.
> This caused this error which was completly unhelpful in resolving this issue.

I found the problem:

We run "find some-dir -name *.in" for the autogenerated kconfig menus.
This happens in the current working dir and because it wasn't quoted
properly you go "find some-dir -name openssh.in" and most generated menus
are missing.
dgen parses the output of kconfig to set up the dependencies. With the
missing files kconfig fails. Unfortunately kcondig send the error message
to stdout (same as the dependency data) so it's not visible :-(

I've push a patch that qoutes "*.in" so this should not happen any more. I
have no idea how to get a better error message if kconfig fails for some
other reason.

Michael