From: Alexander Dahl <ada@thorsis.com>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Cc: Michael Olbrich <m.olbrich@pengutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] systemctl daemon-reload fails
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 09:33:37 +0100	[thread overview]

Hei hei,

Am Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2020, 09:05:38 CET schrieb Michael Olbrich:

> > > Huh, I haven't used a system with less than 256M of SDRAM in a long
> > > time.
> > > I'm living in a different filter bubble... :-)
> >
> > For the record: we still work with boards designed ten years ago with 32
> > MiB RAM and run almost recent ptxdist and LTS kernel.
>
> Good to hear that.
>
> > I assume systemd +
> > additional dependencies (udev, dbus, …) would make those completly
> > unusable.
> So I played a bit with the qemu in DistroKit. I didn't even get any kernel
> output with 32M RAM....
> But it boots with 64M. And with just systemd, udev and journald running,
> about half the memory is still free, so that would be available for
> applications. And maybe 5-6M is used by those three processes, if I read
> the number correctly.
> The kernel is not trimmed for such low memory usage, so I think booting
> with 32M RAM with systemd might be possible, but the overhead is probably
> too much for real use-cases. But with 64M it should be fine.

We already actually have problems with applications eating up almost all the
memory. systemd and friends would be the straw breaking the camel's back. Our
kernel is trimmed down and we use initmethod-bbinit as you might have guessed.

> > Our new boards have 128 MiB though.
>
> Nothing with graphics i guess? I usually argue, that 512M is not enough...
> to run chromium :-).

What I work with or develop for are industrial communication gateways.
No graphics, no USB, some LEDs and a reset button are the only interfaces for
humans. ;-)

Greets
Alex