* [ptxdist] Building perf from ptxdist
@ 2017-10-25  9:16 jon.bird
From: jon.bird @ 2017-10-25  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

Can anyone give me some guidelines as to how you could go about building perf (held with the kernel sources) under ptxdist. In particular, I need it to pick up libelf for enabling userspace tracing on target.

Thanks,

Jon.

--
Jon Bird, CEng MBCS
Software Engineer

Telephone: +441424798278
Email: jon.bird@gd-ms.uk
Website: www.generaldynamics.uk.com

This email and any files attached are intended for the addressee and may contain information of a confidential nature. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that this email was sent to you in error and you should not disclose, distribute, print, copy or make other use of this email or its attachments. Such actions, in fact, may be unlawful. In compliance with the various Regulations and Acts, General Dynamics United Kingdom Limited reserves the right to monitor (and examine for viruses) all emails and email attachments, both inbound and outbound. Email communications and their attachments may not be secure or error- or virus-free and the company does not accept liability or responsibility for such matters or the consequences thereof. General Dynamics United Kingdom Limited, Registered Office: 21 Holborn Viaduct, London EC1A 2DY. Registered in England and Wales No: 1911653.

* Re: [ptxdist] Building perf from ptxdist
@ 2017-10-25  9:28 ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2017-10-25  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello Jon,

Am Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2017, 09:16:29 CEST schrieb jon.bird@gd-ms.uk:
> Can anyone give me some guidelines as to how you could go about building
> perf (held with the kernel sources) under ptxdist. In particular, I need it
> to pick up libelf for enabling userspace tracing on target.

Go to menuconfig --> Core (libc, locales) --> kernel tools --> perf

It should just work activating and using it on target, if you set the right
kernel config options.

(It doesn't work on my target though, I asked about it on IRC lately, but got
no help. On a at91sam9g20 SoC with 32 MB of RAM leads to perf segfaulting on
start, and strace leads me to the assumption there's not enough memory. :-/ )

Greets
Alex

* Re: [ptxdist] Building perf from ptxdist
@ 2017-10-25  9:51   ` jon.bird
From: jon.bird @ 2017-10-25  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi Alexander,

On 2017-10-25, Alexander Dahl wrote:

> Hello Jon,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2017, 09:16:29 CEST schrieb jon.bird@gd-ms.uk:
>> Can anyone give me some guidelines as to how you could go about
>> building perf (held with the kernel sources) under ptxdist. In
>> particular, I need it to pick up libelf for enabling userspace tracing on target.
>
> Go to menuconfig --> Core (libc, locales) --> kernel tools --> perf
>
> It should just work activating and using it on target, if you set the
> right kernel config options.

I don't have that option in the version of ptxdist I'm using (2016-04) so I'm guessing this is a fairly new option then? Either way, that's helpful because I can probably just lift the necessary scripts etc. into my existing version or do an upgrade.

> (It doesn't work on my target though, I asked about it on IRC lately,
> but got no help. On a at91sam9g20 SoC with 32 MB of RAM leads to perf
> segfaulting on start, and strace leads me to the assumption there's not enough memory.
> :-/ )

I have a little more RAM on my target board than that so hopefully I won't run into that problem.

Thanks,

Jon.

--

@ 2017-10-25 11:06     ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2017-10-25 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hei hei,

Am Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2017, 09:51:05 CEST schrieb jon.bird@gd-ms.uk:
> > Go to menuconfig --> Core (libc, locales) --> kernel tools --> perf
> >
> > It should just work activating and using it on target, if you set the
> > right kernel config options.
> >

> I don't have that option in the version of ptxdist I'm using (2016-04) so
> I'm guessing this is a fairly new option then? Either way, that's helpful
> because I can probably just lift the necessary scripts etc. into my
> existing version or do an upgrade.

I just had a look in the ptxdist git repo and it seems this was in deed added
after 2016.04.0, in fact it was added in 2016.05.0. The chances are quite good
you could migrate to a slightly newer version or backport those changes to
your BSP. ;-)

Greets
Alex