* [ptxdist] Forcing kernel options from userspace package
@ 2017-06-06 19:06 christoph
From: christoph @ 2017-06-06 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

is there a way to force a specific kernel option by selecting a userland package?

The concrete case:
I’m working on a project that uses the SCTP protocol for which I’ve created a libsctp package for the userland support library of SCTP. The libsctp package is forced by my application via the corresponding “select LIBSCTP” in rules/my_app.in. Now I’m looking for a way to have libsctp force the kernel’s config flag CONFIG_IP_SCTP to be set. Does ptxdist provide any such mechanism or are the userland’s KConfig and the kernel’s KConfig totally separated?

Regards
Christoph

--
rüdiger.engineering
Christoph Rüdiger

phone: +49 201 458 478 58

* Re: [ptxdist] Forcing kernel options from userspace package
@ 2017-06-26  8:40 ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2017-06-26  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 07:06:47PM +0000, christoph@ruediger.engineering wrote:
> is there a way to force a specific kernel option by selecting a userland package?
>
> The concrete case:
> I’m working on a project that uses the SCTP protocol for which I’ve created a
> libsctp package for the userland support library of SCTP. The libsctp package
> is forced by my application via the corresponding “select LIBSCTP” in
> rules/my_app.in. Now I’m looking for a way to have libsctp force the kernel’s
> config flag CONFIG_IP_SCTP to be set. Does ptxdist provide any such mechanism
> or are the userland’s KConfig and the kernel’s KConfig totally separated?

That's not possible and unlikely to change. That would mean calling kconfig
for the kernel in 'ptxdist menuconfig' and that's not possible. The kernel
source code may not be available at that point.
I suggest a validation script that checks, that the two configs fit
together. Parsing ptxconfig is quite simple.

Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] Forcing kernel options from userspace package
@ 2017-06-27  8:29   ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2017-06-27  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist